FSSAI (Food Safety and Standard Authority Of India) is an autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, G. FSSAI is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through regulation and supervision of food safety.
FSSAI conducts testing of food for a different type of adulterants, chemical contaminants and other safety parakeets of food.
They have given some quick tests for some adulterants in food and milk.
For Milk some test is as follows:
Detection of water in milk Testing Method:
- Put a drop of milk on a polished slanting surface.
- Pure milk either stays or flows slowly leaving a white trail behind.
- Milk adulterated with water will flow immediately without leaving a mark.
Detection of detergent in milk Testing Method:
- Take 5 to 10 ml sample with an equal amount of water.
- Shake the contents thoroughly.
- If milk is adulterated with detergent, it forms a dense layer.
- Pure milk will form a very thin form layer due to agitation.
Detection of Starch in milk and milk product(Khoya, Chenna, Panner)
- Boil 2-3 ml of sample with 5 ml of water.
- Cool and add 2-3 drops of tincture of iodine.
- Formation of blue color indicates the presence of starch. (In case of milk, the addition of water and boiling is not required).
Detection of mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and other starches in ghee/butter
- Take a ½ teaspoon of ghee/butter in a transparent glass bowl.
- Add 2-3 drops of tincture of iodine.
- Formation of blue color indicates the presence of mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and other starches.
We at Puresh daily want to go one step further. We not only ensure that milk is pure and hygienic, but we ensure that it is organic in nature. By organic, we mean that no chemical is used in the entire chain of milk production.
We also have an App that enables consumers in managing subscriptions, payments, cancellation, change in quantity, wallets, offers, and schemes, etc.
We at Puresh Daily, www.pureshmilk.com, are on a mission of #MakingRanchiHealthier.